Archives and History Library
The Archives and History Library (also known as The Methodist Church Archives, Singapore) preserves the history of The Methodist Church in Singapore (MCS).
Operating under the purview of MCS’ Council on Archives and History, it began as a resource centre in a basement room of the Methodist Centre at Mount Sophia in 1984 when the late Bishop Emeritus T. R Doraisamy undertook the preparation of a historical account for MCS’ centenary celebrations in 1985. In January 2003, the resource centre moved to its current premises at the Methodist Centre at Barker Road and became known as the Archives and History Library.
While the library’s holdings are not comprehensive, there are some important materials, including original documents, microfilms, audio-visual media, and photographs as well as books. These, together with a growing number of Methodist publications, a collection of John Wesley’s writings, and books on Methodist History in South East Asia, General Church History and Methodist doctrines and theology, offer rich resources for researchers and interested persons.
We welcome interested persons or researchers who wish to understand how the Methodist work in Singapore began, expanded and evolved from 1885 to the present.